Paralegal (Northern California − Remote/In-Person Hybrid Option)
There has never been a better time to join Edlin Gallagher Huie + Blum, a growing firm of nimble defense lawyers who help clients simplify the process of complex litigation. At EGHB, we serve as outside counsel for businesses, insurance companies, and the public sector. Our firm has deep trial experience to win motions and achieve defense verdicts. We resolve cases in the most efficient and favorable manner possible.
We are currently accepting resumes for a litigation paralegal position. This position will be responsible for supporting attorneys in the various aspects of litigation related to case preparation, management, and execution. Although a hybrid remote/in-person option is available for this position, candidates must be based in Northern California within commuting distance of our office in downtown San Francisco.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtains, reviews, analyzes, and summarizes legal documentation pertaining to cases.
- Schedules depositions and other meetings with clients, witnesses, experts, opposing counsel, court reporters and others.
- Identifies, locates and evaluates potential experts and sends expert packages to parties for review.
- Tracks requests for documents and regularly follows up on progress of receipt.
- Regularly reviews files and proactively works to move cases forward.
- Documents files and updates client coordinator when necessary regarding status of case.
- Participates in all aspects of trial preparation as required by client coordinator.
- Prepares draft documents.
- Performs research pertaining to legal issues and precedents related to particular cases.
- Performs clerical duties such as typing and filing to the extent required to produce non billable work product or assure proper organization of case files.
- Enters billable time into computer on a daily basis.
- Meets a minimum billing requirement of 137.5 hours per month net of write downs (1650 per year).
- Ensures all functions are performed in exact accordance with applicable client guidelines available on the firm Intranet.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- 3+ years experience handling general litigation issues.
- Must have experience with online case management systems (i.e. File&ServeXpress, Case Anywhere, Westlaw).
- Ability to review and manage voluminous project documentation; propounding and responding to standard discovery requests; ability to coordinate expert activities, and manage deposition calendar for complex multi-party case. ProLaw experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the various courts, their rules and filing requirements.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate with a diverse group of attorneys, staff, and clients and to provide information with ordinary courtesy, diplomacy and tact.
- Demonstrated organizational, prioritization, and attention to detail skills to allow for timely, effective, and accurate performance of job duties.
- Accurate typing ability of 60 wpm and comprehensive computer and office equipment experience.
- Work may require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position and to meet financial goal requirements.
- Applicable overtime pay will be provided with prior approval by the Client Coordinator and/or Office Administrator.
- Work requires sitting, bending, stooping, computer keyboarding and continuous use of the hands, telephone contact, reading, and may require lifting of 25-50 lbs. or more.
- Work may also require traveling to offsite locations for the collection of records and information or filing of documents with courts, therefore work may require driving.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Competitive compensation.
- Collaborative and diverse work environment.
- Growth opportunities within the firm.
- Comprehensive benefits package.
Please submit your resume to Jon Piggins via email at: [email protected].