We Handle the Cases that Make Headlines
Environmental law isn’t just one of our core competencies. Our skills and experience in this area run so deep that clients trust us to handle the cases where billions of dollars hang in the balance. Our attorneys have tried and won a wide variety of environmental cases in both federal and state courts, and achieved appellate wins with reported opinions on important issues of law.
Notable Environmental Cases
- AmeriPride v. Valley Industrial Services, Inc., et al. The firm won an important appellate victory for Texas Eastern Overseas (TEO). In its appellate opinion, the Ninth Circuit vacated the more than $10M judgment against TEO. This opinion relieved TEO and its insurers of the purported claims AmeriPride Services Inc. made against them. This was a complete victory for TEO and reduced its liability to AmeriPride by millions of dollars. The decision was also significant because it established district courts’ authority to determine what method to use when allocating responsibility for settlement costs related to contamination cleanup in environmental litigation.
- City of Modesto v. Dow Chemicals, et al. In this case with international press coverage, Noel Edlin represented a local business in a large groundwater contamination case brought on behalf of the City of Modesto. This was a multi-party environmental action brought under the Gatto Bill (formerly the Polanco Act), HSAA, and state tort law seeking exorbitant cleanup and response costs. After seven years of hard-fought litigation, and a four-month trial, the case was submitted to a San Francisco jury. Noel’s client was held not liable — the plaintiffs’ verdicts of $200M were awarded against several of the other co-defendants, although these verdicts were later reduced by the trial court.
Several of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized for their achievements as environmental lawyers. Noel Edlin and Fred M. Blum were named Northern California Environmental Super Lawyers every year since 2006, Erin K. Poppler was selected as a 2018 Northern California Rising Star, and Michael E. Gallagher was recognized by Super Lawyers as a Southern California Rising Star for Environmental Law for the years 2005, 2006, and 2007. Given their extensive knowledge and experience, many EGHB attorneys are frequently invited to share their knowledge by publishing articles on key environmental law issues and presenting at industry events such as EECMA, FETTI, Perrin, and AIRROC. In addition, the firm received favorable media attention and a Legaltech Innovation Award for using predictive analytics to win against a much larger firm in a challenging environmental case we handled for the City of Fort Bragg.
Our experience includes:
- Representing clients faced with professional liability claims
- Defending and prosecuting CERCLA and HSAA cases
- Negotiating permits and licenses
- Handling all phases of regulatory compliance
We also are educated in all legislation pertaining to environmental matters such as:
- The Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- The Clean Air Act
- The Clean Water Act and other water pollution matters
- The Endangered Species Act
- The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
- The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
And we understand all of the companion California state and local laws, including:
- The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
- The Hazardous Substance Account Act (HSAA)
- AB440 (the Gatto Act; which replaced the Polanco Act)
- Land use and permitting
- The California Coastal Act
- Pesticide use
- Underground storage tank remediation
- Environmental impact reports
- Environmental aspects of the purchase and sale of real property
Partner with Edlin Gallagher Huie + Blum
Trust our experienced litigators to put you in a position of strength. Call our firm at 628-218-6960. We represent clients across California and have offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles.