General Litigation Associate – Los Angeles or San Francisco
Edlin Gallagher Huie + Blum is currently accepting resumes for an associate attorney. Applicants must have 2-4 years of litigation experience and be able to meet a billing requirement of 158.34 hours per month. The ideal candidate will have litigation experience in asbestos, products defect, environmental or toxic tort litigation. The associate will assist senior attorneys and partners with motions, discovery, depositions, court appearances, trial preparation and trial. Must have experience with online case management systems (i.e. WestLaw, Case Anywhere, File & ServExpress). ProLaw experience preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend depositions, meetings, court hearings, and site inspections as directed by client coordinator.
- Track case status by monitoring weekly personal calendar and by communicating regularly with case manager.
- Attend weekly round table meeting and calendar meeting.
- Respond to discovery requests, draft and revise legal briefs, prepare witnesses for testimony at depositions and in court, and negotiate and draft settlements.
- Keep docket clerks apprised of changes to case calendars by communicating regularly via email.
- May supervise staff; ability to collaborate with other attorneys and take leadership role on individual assignments.
- Highly motivated, efficient, organized, and laser-focused on the details; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, both collaborating as a team to stay in sync and working independently to get the job done.
- Enter billable time into computer on a daily basis.
- Meet a minimum billing requirement of 158.34 hours per month net of write downs (1900 per year). This requirement is not reduced by any paid or unpaid time off, mandatory training, or the performance of any non-billable functions. Such time off, training, or performance of non-billable functions are not counted toward the minimum billing requirement.
- Ensure all functions are performed in exact accordance with applicable client guidelines available on the firm Intranet.
- Remain flexible and open to requests for support or assistance outside of the scope of this job description and to other duties as directed by the client coordinators.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, meticulous attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple tasks, in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate with a diverse group of attorneys, staff, and clients and to provide information with ordinary courtesy, diplomacy and tact.
- Demonstrate organizational, prioritization, and attention to detail to allow for timely, effective, and accurate performance of job duties.
- Work requires sitting, bending, stooping, computer keyboarding and continuous use of the hands, telephone contact, reading, and may require lifting of 25-50 lbs. or more.
- Work may also require traveling to offsite locations for depositions, the collection of records and information or filing of documents with courts, therefore work may require driving.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Annual Salary: $95,000 per year (until licensed to practice), plus comprehensive benefits.
*Equal Opportunity Employer.
*Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation.
- Collaborative and diverse work environment.
- Growth opportunities within the firm.
- Comprehensive benefits package.
Recently, our Managing Partner Noel Edlin spoke with Authority Magazine’s Eric L. Pines about what it takes to run a successful law firm. Some key takeaways: make DEI central to your firm culture, be a lifelong learner, and invest in your people. Read the full interview here: https://bit.ly/3u5EwXp
EGHB is one of just 43 U.S.-based law firms named to Bloomberg Law’s DEI Framework. The framework is a listing of law firms that meet or exceed the highest standards for diversity, equity, and inclusion and it plays an important role in advancing the legal profession. To learn more about EGHB’s success and the DEI Framework, please read the formal announcement here: https://bit.ly/3w1U7rW
Please submit your resume to Jon Piggins via email at: [email protected]